From the kitchen of Karen Johnson.
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup sifted flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Set aside the white of one egg. Cream shortening and sugar, then add the yolk of one egg and the remaining egg, as well as vanilla, and mix. Stir dry ingredients together, blend into shortening mixture and mix well.
- Spread in greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Beat egg white until foamy. Gradually add brown sugar and continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Fold chopped nuts into meringue mixture, then spread over dough and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Cut into squares while warm and remove from pan when cool.