Ginger Souffle with Chocolate Sauce
Drizzled in dark chocolate with a hint of citrus.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 eggs, room temperature and separated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Candied ginger dipped in melted semi-sweet chocolate for garnish
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in saucepan and whisk in flour and ground ginger. Add warm milk and whisk over medium heat until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat egg yolks until they are thick and light, then whisk in sugar and vanilla. When all blended, whisk into cooled flour mixture, then stir in candied ginger.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until egg whites stand in stiff peaks. Fold whites into yolk mixture.
- Pour into 4 unbuttered 8 ounce soufflé dishes and set in roasting pan. Add enough warm water to come halfway up sides of soufflé dishes. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Place chocolate in double broiler and set into pan of hot water to melt. Stir in cream and simmer for 1 minute.