Delicious spicy cake with almonds and brandy.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon mace
- Seeds of 5 to 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- ¾ cup ground, blanched almonds
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- ½ cup currents
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup chopped candied lemon peel
- Melted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, mace and cardamom. Stir in ground almonds. Cut butter in until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- In a blender, cream egg, cream cheese, vanilla, almond extract and brandy. Pour in a bowl and stir in dried fruit. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well blended.
- Work the dough into a ball and turn out on a floured board. Knead until smooth. Shape into an oval about 10 inches long and 8 inches wide.
- Crease just off center with a blunt edge of a knife, lengthwise. Fold smaller side over larger and place on un-greased baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with melted butter before baking. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before dusting with confectioners’ sugar.