Prawns with Broccoli
This comes from a blue recipe card found amongst other recipes. While we're not sure who the original chef is, it looked too good not to add!
- ¾ pounds large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½-1 teaspoon oriental chili paste or sauce
- 1 pinch white pepper – or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup broccoli flowerets
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Photo courtesy of I'm(Nannie), copyright information can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pupi-foto/1448101770/
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry on a paper towel. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, sesame oil, salt and white pepper. Add the shrimp and stir to coat in mixture, then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Mix the ketchup, rice vinegar and chili paste together in a small bowl then set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2” of water to a boil. Then add broccoli and simmer until crisp tender (about 1 ½ minutes). Drain broccoli, rinse under cold water until cool, then drain again and arrange in center of serving platter; set aside.
- Heat a wok or 10-12” frying pan over high heat, when hot, add oil and swirl to coat the surface. Add garlic and shrimp and stir-fry until the shrimp turn pink (about 2 minutes). Remove half the shrimp and set aside. Add the wine and a pinch of white pepper to the remaining shrimp in the wok and stir to coat completely. Then place the shrimp on one side of a serving platter.
- Return the un-wined shrimp to the wok, add chili sauce and stir to coat the shrimp and heat through (about 1 minute). Spoon shrimp and sauce onto other side of serving platter.
- Serve and enjoy!