Fresh spinach and crumbled feta cheese tango over filo dough to create a flaky, fragrant entree that's sure to be a hit at any event!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small bunch scallions, green parts included, chopped
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds spinach, washed and thoroughly drained
- 1 small bunch fresh anise and anise seed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 to 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 filo pastry sheets, unrolled flat and kept covered to avoid drying
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Bread crumbs, if necessary
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sautee the scallions until soft. Meanwhile pan the spinach (cook it without adding water, then drain it thoroughly. Or salt and rinse it (the latter method is used extensively in Greece, but is not recommended). Squeeze out excess liquid.
- Add the spinach to scallions and stir in the anise and anise seed and very little salt and pepper. Cook gently for 10 minutes, then cool. Using a wooden spoon, stir in feta and eggs.
- Now assemble the pie, using filo dough to create layers. If the filling is too liquid, sprinkle some bread crumbs before spreading it on the pastry. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and flaky.
- Serve warm or cold.