Boston Baked Beans
Delicious and tangy, these baked beans are just the side dish to wow your senses.
- 1 lb. navy or pea beans
- 1 large Onion (white or yellow) diced
- 2 TBL. Dijon or 1 TBL Coleman's powdered mustard
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup firmly pack brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- Discard any discolored beans - cover the beans with plenty of cold water and soak overnight for 6-8 hours.
- Drain the beans and cook over med. Heat in enough fresh water to cover by one inch. Bring to a simmer and cook just until tender, about 45 mins. But may be longer if the beans are old or the soaking time was short. Drain the beans and save the cooking water.
- Preheat the oven to 325. Mix together the drained beans, onion, mustard, brown sugar, molasses and salt u a bean pot or a deep-lidded casserole. NOTE: You will need an ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid. You can use foil as the lid if you don't have one.
- Cover and bring to a simmer on the top of the stove, then bake for 2 hours, checking every 30 mins. To make certain the beans don't dry out, add more of the reserved cooking liquid if this seems likely.
- One the beans are thoroughly tender, uncover and cook for 20-30 min more if you like a slightly crispy top.
- These are just yummy and are good cold too!