A great side addition to souvlaki or spanikopita!
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (or olive oil)
- 1 cup white or yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 cups of chicken stock (can be also a combination of stock; beer, white wine)
- 1 cups orzo pasta uncooked
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, crumbled feta or shredded Parmesan/Asiago
- 1/4 cups pine nuts
- salt and pepper taste
- Grate yellow zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- Dill or chive (optional)
- Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until soft but not browned; about 6 minutes.
- Add pine nuts and garlic, then stir until toasty brown, adding the uncooked Orzo pasta to the skillet and toasting it - not too dark. Meanwhile, heat chicken stock in a medium saucepan to boiling.
- Stir in hot chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let stand without removing cover, until all liquid is absorbed for about 25 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and lemon juice, then stir in cheese until melted and finally add chives (or dill).
- Let stand without removing cover for another 5 minutes. Salt and pepper can be added if desired.